Linux on the Desktop Redux - MP3 player recommendations

Fun with operating systems. Let the SystemD hate flow.
plarceny
Tactical Nylon Fetishist
Linux on the Desktop Redux - MP3 player recommendations

Post by plarceny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm

So, I've been away from the linux on the desktop game for at least 10 years. Been running teh loonix as a server the whole time, but getting back to running it on a laptop has presented on very large and very annoying problem: mp3 players. I'm running CentOS 6.x, this is mostly an inheritance from running servers so long, and a lot of sunk cost in terms of managing rpm packaging for a lot of custom applications. I'm unwilling to change distros at the moment, so if you say ubuntu I will kick you in whatever reproductive organs you have next time I see you at 2600.

Anyways, being out of the game, I'm not up on what the cool kids are running to play mp3s. xmms has apparently been abandonware since 2007, audacity seems to have taken it's place (same code base, but has seen development in the last 10 years). I haven't had a chance to go through the cycle of getting it compiled and running yet. At the moment, I'm looking to see what anyone else recommends.

Ideas? Recommendations? Bueller?

CHRIS
Knight of Mars

Re: Linux on the Desktop Redux - MP3 player recommendations

Post by CHRIS » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Linux on the desktop is for people who hate themselves. :D

I used Rythmbox last time I did. It wasn't great, but it did the job well enough. May not be the best choice unless you're already getting deep into the GTK world though.

plarceny
Tactical Nylon Fetishist

Post by plarceny » Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 pm

So the default build of Rythmbox on CentOS won't play mp3. Also, as a player otherwise it rather sucks. Also the OGG format sucks.

I did manage to get mpg123 working.

CHRIS
Knight of Mars

Post by CHRIS » Tue May 08, 2018 10:13 pm

You are not wrong about any of those things...

sinonym1956
Noob

Post by sinonym1956 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm

plarceny wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm
Anyways, being out of the game, I'm not up on what the cool kids are running to play mp3s
The leetest is mopidy. :ugeek: It's a server and there are clients that go with it. You can put mopidy on your Linux server and have the clients on phones or tablets like a normal person. If you want Linux to be the client there's mpc (fairly leet), cantata (less leet) and many others. See https://musicpd.org/clients for a list.

Some of the people that aren't leet and just want to organize their music run clementine. The ones that don't organize their music and who want to not just listen to sounds but also look at videos might run vlc or mplayer. The problem with vlc is that it chews up a lot of CPU even when it's not playing anything. The problem with mplayer is that when you skip through an MP3 that's hours long it sometimes plays at the wrong pitch. It's good to have both, vlc for when you have long MP3s to skip around in and mplayer for when you're not listening to or watchiing anything.

The main Fraunhofer MP3 patent expired in early 2017 and they canceled the licensing program for it. I think some people subscribed to the questioned theory that if they gave away MP3 playing software they'd have to collect a license fee for it, or pay Fraunhofer somehow, and how can it be free software when it costs money? If CentOS still doesn't support MP3 playback it's probably because CentOS copies Red Hat, and Red Hat has a slow release schedule. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... dy_noticed

plarceny
Tactical Nylon Fetishist

Post by plarceny » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:54 pm

sinonym1956 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm
plarceny wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm
Anyways, being out of the game, I'm not up on what the cool kids are running to play mp3s
<snip>
It's good to have both, vlc for when you have long MP3s to skip around in and mplayer for when you're not listening to or watchiing anything.

The main Fraunhofer MP3 patent expired in early 2017 and they canceled the licensing program for it. I think some people subscribed to the questioned theory that if they gave away MP3 playing software they'd have to collect a license fee for it, or pay Fraunhofer somehow, and how can it be free software when it costs money? If CentOS still doesn't support MP3 playback it's probably because CentOS copies Red Hat, and Red Hat has a slow release schedule. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... dy_noticed
Yea, I've been running CentOS/RH for years mostly because the RPM system made on the fly customization a very easy task, even compared to slack. I'm not really looking for a network enabled player, pretty much what I want is winamp. But I think you're onto something with VLC.